This Page

has been moved to new address

Games for Traveling in the Car With Kids

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Women Living Well Blog: Games for Traveling in the Car With Kids

Women Living Well Blog

Friday, May 29, 2009

Games for Traveling in the Car With Kids

We all know how hard it is to travel with kids in the backseat - although nowadays with video games and car DVD players it is much easier than when I was a child. But with my little ones, long car trips are still daunting and about 2 years ago I began to research fun car trip ideas and over the years I've collected them and tried out many of these - so since summer is here and you probably have some vacation plans - this might be useful!

My top 7 favorite games to play in the car:


1. The Ticket System: Before my kids could read a clock or estimate how long - 7 hours is - I began a ticket system. Before we leave home I cut strips of paper - a different color for each child and put them in baggies. Then I give the baggies to the children once the drive has begun - and they are so excited to have their OWN bag. Then every 30 minutes they give me a ticket. (So if we are going on a 7 hour car trip I put 14 tickets in their bag). I tell them when the bag is almost empty - we are almost there - and when the bag is empty - we are there! This is a fun way for them to keep track of the time passing and they don't ask "are we there yet"?


2.Red Car/Yellow Car Choose a color and watch for a car of that color. Whoever spots the right color car first calls out, "(Color) Car!" and then gets to choose a different color for the next car.


3. Alphabet Hunt Using the alphabet, starting with A, watch out the window for road signs, billboards, store signs, etc. with the called out letter. Once you find an "A" move on to "B" and so on until you complete the alphabet. Then repeat!

4. Number Hunt Similar to above but use numbers. Watch out the window for numbers from 1-9, in order.


5. Scavenger Hunt - have the children look for these items - since my children are little and can't read I print up pictures of these items and we cross them off as we go.



CITY LIST
Flashing red light
Bus
Dog
Grocery store
Railroad tracks
Playground
Billboard with child on it
Billboard with cat on it
Police officer



SUBURBS
School
Flashing traffic light
Grocery store
Person on a bicycle
Statue
Church
Playground
Flower garden/snowman
Children
Pickup truck

RURAL LIST
Silo
Railroad tracks
Post office or school
Cows
Dirt road
Pond or lake
Tractor
A fence
Gas station
Horses



TODDLER LIST
Tall building
Lake or pond
Person on a bicycle
Bridge
Red car
Animal
Truck
Stop sign
Store
Person wearing a hat



6. License Plate Game See how many different license plates you can find. Keep track of what states, provinces or countries you see plates from. The person who finds the most plates wins!


7. Animal Naming Game - You have to name an animal in alphabetical order. If a letter sounds like one, but really isn't, you do the real letter. For letters like q,x,y, you don't have to do, but you get an extra turn if you do.Submitted by Fashion Queen


Momsminivan.com is an excellent resource for more fun travel tips.


Walk with the King!

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Traci said...

I found your blog the day before yesterday and have been reading through the whole thing ever since! It has encouraged me and given me so much to think about. You and I seem to have a lot in common. I have a 6 year old boy and a 4 year old girl. You write about things that are always on my mind. Just today your post about traveling in the car couldn't have come at a more perfect time as we are leaving for a 7 hour trip today. I look forward to reading the rest of your blog. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and insights on Biblical matters.

May 29, 2009 at 8:15 AM  
Blogger Morgan said...

I used to LOVE playing the alphabet game when I was a kid! It helped pass time a little faster for those long car trips.

May 29, 2009 at 9:26 AM  
Blogger Courtney (Women Living Well) said...

Traci - thanks for stopping by and for leaving your kind words!

Yes Morgan - I LOVED playing the alphabet game too - we used to play it as kids even on short trips - like on our way to church! Fun memories!

May 29, 2009 at 4:23 PM  
Blogger Ingrid said...

Great ideas! I love the ticket one and scavenger hunt. I will definitely use them.

May 31, 2009 at 11:44 AM  
Blogger Lenetta said...

Just wanted to let you know I linked to this in my weekly link roundup here. Thanks!

June 8, 2009 at 3:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

June 27, 2009 at 6:18 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

What a fun list and we travel a lot and far, so these are some great ideas!! Thanks!

May 28, 2010 at 3:17 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

My husband and I usually play a game where we come up with words or phrases from the letters on a license plate. For some reason, though, my phrases are always naughty. It's so weird because I don't usually think that way!

May 28, 2010 at 8:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I remember playing car bingo while on a family trip to Yuma, Arizona. We had lots of fun.

What a terrific list. You and your family have a safe and fun Memorial Day weekend!

May 29, 2010 at 11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home