This Page

has been moved to new address

A "Must Read" For the Summer

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Women Living Well Blog: A "Must Read" For the Summer

Women Living Well Blog

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A "Must Read" For the Summer

Yep - this book is a summer MUST READ - it's revolutionary, life changing, extraordinary, eye opening, jaw droppingly amazing. It is filled with romance, love, good and evil. There is suspense, drama, wisdom and comfort. As you read you will weep and you will jump for joy - can you guess what book I'm suggesting as your first summer pick - the Bible!


This should seem so obvious yet - isn't it easier to pick up a novel, self-help book, cookbook or magazine for your summer reading enjoyment? I am guilty of it myself. I LOVE to read and I feel like a good book is like a good mentor to me.


Sometimes these other reading materials steal my time away from the ONE book that is most extraordinary on the planet - the Bible. It's in the Bible that we find direct words from God. There is no other place in this world that you will find direct words from God - so why do we neglect his word? Don't we want to hear from God?


Reading God's word is not a one day ordeal. It's not meant to be read on Sunday and then closed until the following Sunday. God wants us to hunger and thirst for his living water. He wants us to find refreshment, comfort and satisfaction through his word. David uses the analogy of a deer in Psalm 42 "As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God." Are you thirsting for Jesus or have you made yourself so busy and so full of other "junk" that you don't even know your souls greatest need - time with God.


Do you want to be a better wife? Study your Bible. Do you want to be a better mother? Study your Bible. Do you want to be a better homemaker? Study your Bible. Those magazines sure are inviting and enjoyable and don't get me wrong - you might just see me reading one on the beach - BUT it lacks the power that God's word has.


Do you charge your cell phone daily? I do. If I don't have power to recharge my phone - it goes dead. You need to plug into God's power daily. You need to be recharged by his words and his strength daily. Reading God's word daily will change the entire course of your life. So I encourage you to be sure you take your Bible along everywhere this summer - outside while the kids are playing, to sport's practices, to the pool, on vacation, and to waiting rooms - buy a tiny one that you can slip in your purse or write out verses on note cards and carry them along with you! Do not let the lazy days of summer make you lazy in your walk with God!


My friend Julie over on Come Have a Peace is doing a series on "Plan to Be Refreshed". She says..."If you don't plan ahead for dinner, you're more likely to have frittata a la freezer. If you don't plan ahead what you'll wear to work or for a night out, you're more likely to go wrinkled (my personal favorite), late (better that than never), or feeling dowdy (it happens). If you don't plan ahead to send a birthday card, you're more likely to fall into the "belated wishes" category (oh, but do still send them). Bible Study is the same way, maybe worse, since there's an enemy working against our success."


If you need help in this area - join Julie for her series this week - Okay I gotta run and get off this blog so I can go read my Bible!!!


Walk with the King! He loves you so!

http://www.womenlivingwell.org/

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Morgan said...

Thank you for the good reminder and analogies. I know I need to get back into reading my Bible daily.

What book are you reading in your Bible this week?

May 28, 2009 at 2:13 AM  
Blogger Courtney (Women Living Well) said...

Morgan - I'm in the book of Proverbs and I'm highlighting every verse that addresses the tongue or the way we speak. Today I'm in chapter 20 - I highly recommend Proverbs - it's so useful in parenting!!

May 28, 2009 at 6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home