This Page

has been moved to new address

Are You a Planner?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Women Living Well Blog: Are You a Planner?

Women Living Well Blog

Monday, May 25, 2009

Are You a Planner?

This weekend we took the kids on a penny walk. What is a penny walk you may ask? A penny walk is when you go for a walk with a penny and at each corner you allow the children to flip a penny - if it's heads you turn right, if it's tails you turn left.


When you go for a walk in your neighborhood do you find yourself always going on the same path? We are creatures of habit so once we find a way that is comfortable we rarely shift from our comfort zone.

I must admit that the penny walk made me uncomfortable at times. It made me turn and head too far from home when I was tired, it took us past a house I avoid with BIG dogs, it made us go in a a circle one time - which was funny and then the worst thing happened! My son lost his penny! You would have thought his puppy died! He had a hard time rebounding from his loss and spent the last few minutes of the penny walk pretty sad. What could be worse than losing your penny on a penny walk???


I am a planner - I like to plan my day, my week and well - I'd plan out my entire year if I could. Are you a planner? Jeremiah 29:11 says "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."


Although I do believe that God wants me to be organized and wise about how I spend my day - and that requires planning - he does not want me to be so inflexible with my plan, that I do not seek Him and as a result step out of his will for my life. God is my penny - he wants me to ask him - which way do I go Lord? What should I do next? And then he wants me to put my trust in him and follow him.


The one thing I am SURE of, is when you are in the center of God's will there is a "peace that passes all understanding which will guard your heart and mind in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:6,7) This peace will get you through the toughest times - because you know you are smack dab in the center of where God wants you.


About 5 years ago, I was in my comfort zone. I had one little boy and another sweet thing on the way. I had the next 5 years of my life planned out - then God brought along a job change for my husband that took me WAY outside my comfort zone. At every turn, my husband and I have sought God - is this the way we should go? God faithfully answered. At the next turn, again we would seek God - now which way do we go? Again, God faithfully answered. Sometimes - like the penny walk - God took us on unknown paths, he took us on paths way outside our comfort zone, he took us on scary paths, and sometimes it felt like we were just spinning in circles going no where at all! But we certainly have not lost our penny!!! And as the penny says right on it "In God We Trust".


If you are at a crossroads today - please don't go forward without first seeking God. Wait on him to give you direction - and then go forward in peace. When you are walking with God daily - you will know his voice. Draw near to God - be still - listen - what is it that he is trying to tell you? Even if it takes you way outside your comfort zone - go now and obey. In God We Trust.

Have a Happy Memorial Day today! If you have some free time, take your kids on a penny walk and tell them about how God is their penny.


Walk with the King!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Morgan said...

I would like to try that with my kids. Explaining to them how God wants us to trust Him on our own Penny Walk with Him is a great idea. Thank you for sharing!

May 25, 2009 at 9:23 AM  
Anonymous Kristi_runwatch said...

I love that thought of showing them "In God we trust" and physically walking this out together - what a great object lesson!

May 25, 2009 at 4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home