This Page

has been moved to new address

Girl - You NEED A Bubble Bath

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Women Living Well Blog: Girl - You NEED A Bubble Bath

Women Living Well Blog

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Girl - You NEED A Bubble Bath


"Go take a bubble bath."
"You should go to bed early tonight and get some extra rest."
"Let me get you a warm cup of coffee, a book and you sit down and take a break."


No one ever says these things to you do they? And so - I'm guessing you rarely do this. You rarely surrender to your weariness. I know this because you are just like me. I mistakenly believe that I can go and go and go like the Energizer bunny without consequence.


Electricity has created an artificial day during our nights. And so rather than resting like the rest of nature does - we try to defy nature and keep going as if it is morning time. We live in a world that runs 24/7. Computers, televisions, cell phones, ipods, restaurants, grocery stores and more are at our access 24/7. We live in a hyperactive culture and then we wonder why some of our children are so well...hyperactive?!


We must slow down and create slow moments because it is in our slow moments that we can see clearly.


Let me say that again because this must sink in if we are going to embrace the peace Jesus wants to give us. It is in our slow moments that we can see clearly.


When we are on the go go go - we can't see the person who is hurting and needs a hug. We can't see our husband who needs our tender affection. We don't have time to just linger on the bedside of our children to listen. We don't write encouraging notes to a friend who is hurting. We can't enjoy a sunrise, a surprise game of hide-n-seek, a spontaneously song of praise and we certainly can not hear God clearly.


I know we carry a long to-do list and heavy burdens at Christmas time. But consider Jesus for a moment - the burdens of the entire world were upon his shoulders. He knew of every single hurting man, woman and child. The needs he knew of were beyond what we can comprehend - and yet he did not help everyone. He did not rush in a flurry of speed to accomplish as much as he could before each sunset. He took time to stop and talk to individuals. He took time to wake early in the morning and get alone with God. He took time to rest when he was weary like the time he slept during the raging storm on the boat.


And so it is time for us to hush not rush.


Here's this week's challenge: Take out your calendar and SCHEDULE a night where you will take a warm refreshing bubble bath. Bring your Bible. Read the story of the birth of Jesus in Matthew 1, 2 and Luke 1,2.


Here's why: A bubble bath is something COMPLETELY free that only you can give yourself. It is something we do alone and a place where we can stop the rush, hush, reflect and see clearly. I know there is a temptation at the end of a weary day to turn on the television and have a snack. This is a common stress reliever - but it doesn't get us alone with God and it doesn't give us the peace that our souls long for. Television is empty. God's word is full.

An awesome bubble bath takes planning so here's what you need:
1. Privacy - all children asleep and the husband aware that you don't want to be interrupted

2. Hot water and loads of Bubbles - preferably ones that smell yummy!

3. Some soft classical music

4. A hand towel rolled up as a pillow

5. A cold drink to set beside the tub

6. Your Bible and if you are afraid you'll get it wet - exchange it for a good Christian book or simply quietness - reflecting on your day and talking with God in prayer.

Optional: a lit candle


Now sit back, RELAX, be alone with just you and God - 25 minutes and VOILA - you emerge a new woman.


Do not wait until the house is clean, the laundry is folded, and your presents are all wrapped. It will never be all done! Give yourself permission in the midst of your busyness to have a moment of peace - Peace on Earth.

If you are participating in this challenge leave a comment below with how it's going - if you are a blogger copy this button into your blog post, write about how it's going and link up below!


Walk with the King!


I am linking up to: Motivation Monday, Hip Homeschool Hop, Finer Things Friday, Raising Homemakers, Making My H0me Sing Monday , Holiday Haven and Works For Me Wednesday. Please check out these blogs for more great homemaking ideas.
live the gospel

Labels: , , , , ,

29 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I have been asking myself with everything that comes my way this holiday season this question: "Is this going to bring me peace, or destroy my peace?" I have to tell you, A LOT of things have been let go by asking this :) Enjoy your bubble bath!!

December 5, 2010 at 9:55 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Just FYI... there are waterproof Bibles out there! I am not promoting a brand but I think they are pretty awesome for the tub, the pool, and camping trips! Enjoy the bath ladies!

December 5, 2010 at 10:02 PM  
Blogger MrsLuckyLee said...

It's so crazy that you posted this! I was actually thinking to myself earlier (with the temperature being 21 degrees for tonight) that I should take a nice long bath and relax for once! Great post, great challenge! So many great things come from you, Courtney! Thank you so much for being such an inspiration to me and helping me to grow in my faith daily!

December 5, 2010 at 10:07 PM  
Blogger Janelle Nehrenz said...

Ohhh Courtney, you have a gift my Friend. I so needed this extra push for a "time out". I feel very behind with Christmas things because we just got back from vacation..thank you for this. Love you! Nelle

December 5, 2010 at 10:41 PM  
Blogger natasha said...

Hi Courtney, I have been following your blog, and participating in this challenge. You are such an inspiration to me!

December 5, 2010 at 10:43 PM  
Anonymous becca banana said...

This is just brilliance! Well-written and ties in Scripture. You are inspirational and such a great model to us! :)

December 5, 2010 at 10:51 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

My husband has a really late night at work tonight, and the kiddos are asleep--sounds like the perfect time for some R&R, bubblebath-style! I'm off to light some candles, run the water, and make some tea to sip. Thanks for the suggestion!

December 5, 2010 at 10:56 PM  
Blogger Mary Teresa said...

Love love love this week of The challenge. Since my husband is not home right now, this may be a little more difficult, but I will make it a priority to relax with my bible in the tub this week. Thanks!

December 6, 2010 at 4:49 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello dear Courtney,
I must be creative to find me another quiet moment then a bubble bath!!!!
I have only a shower!!!!!
I will have a reflection time and give you my idea later!!!!
Blessings from France

December 6, 2010 at 5:23 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

I must admit that since last week I've been looking forward to this one! I love lighting of the candle and praying every time I see it...I already feel the peace in my home. Thank you for going where God leads!

December 6, 2010 at 7:47 AM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

I am definitely in this week. I enjoyed this past week with lighting a candle and praying for a peaceful home.

December 6, 2010 at 8:02 AM  
Blogger Jenifer Metzger said...

I love taking hot bubble baths. I put the kiddos to bed, hubby watches tv (his way to relax), light a few candles, turn on the ocean sounds/instrumental music and grab a book. It is such a great way to relax.

To Katie, I have never heard of water proof Bibles. How neat!

December 6, 2010 at 9:38 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

I might take more baths, if mine looked like the picture in your post! Unfortunately, ours needs a bit of help with an on-going mildewy caulk problem! I've already replaced the caulk once, I guess I just didn't do it right!

December 6, 2010 at 9:53 AM  
Blogger Mariah said...

Courtney! God Bless You! This was a great post...I truly felt God speaking to me! Thanks!

December 6, 2010 at 11:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like a great idea to me. Thanks for the reminder that we need to schedule time to relax.

December 6, 2010 at 12:21 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Girl, I need that bathroom! So inviting! I will try not to covet....

December 6, 2010 at 12:22 PM  
Blogger momstheword said...

It sounds so wonderful! Right now our bathtub is not draining very well (it takes DAYS to drain, it's ridiculous, lol!) and a shower just doesn't sound quite as relaxing, haha.

However, I'm with you in spirit! Thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday!

December 6, 2010 at 1:15 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

Hi Courtney! I have been following your blog for the past few months, and I have been so touched by your testimony and beauty- both physical and spiritual! You are truly inspiring and you are doing so much good!!! Thank you!!! As I read this post, I couldn't help but think back to a talk I recently heard. It is on an LDS website, but the message is not just for LDS people- but for any and all Christians. I thought you might enjoy it- my intentions are not to push my religion, just a wonderful talk! I hope you enjoy it!
http://lds.org/general-conference/2010/10/of-things-that-matter-most?lang=eng&format=conference

December 7, 2010 at 1:36 AM  
Anonymous Sherry Lauser said...

This Christmas has been busier than years past and I so need to keep my focus on our Lord Jesus Christ, It is so easy to loose focus and start stressing instead of seeking peace. Seeking peace is a choice and a decision. I have lost it a couple of times already, but an more quickly 'recovering', partly because of this challenge (and through prayer) getting my focus back. I am looking forward to a nice bath with a candle and reading God's word.

Thank you!!

December 7, 2010 at 1:44 AM  
Anonymous Amy said...

I love this! Fly Lady (who I found because of you--thanks!) has also made this months habit pampering yourself. I love that women look out for each other like this!!

December 7, 2010 at 6:32 AM  
Blogger Happy Homemaker And Momma said...

I really like this post-would you do me the honor of guest posting this post for me on my blog?

I am doing a Handmade for Christmas Event and this would be perfect for a post one day!

We all need a chance to spend time with Christ!! Especially during this busyness and rush of the season!

December 7, 2010 at 8:20 AM  
Blogger Courtney (Women Living Well) said...

Happy HOmemaker - I just visited your blog - it's beautiful and you have the gift of crafting - something I don't have lol1!!

Feel free to copy and paste what you'd like from this post - just be sure to link it back to the post here: http://www.womenlivingwell-courtney.blogspot.com

Keep walking with the King!
Courtney

December 7, 2010 at 12:14 PM  
Blogger Jessa said...

✓Scheduled
✓Done!

Thanks for your cute challenge!

December 7, 2010 at 1:13 PM  
Blogger Debbie Dillon said...

Just found your blog and LOVE IT! I'm so glad to find another blogger out there promoting the calm, quiet moments we all need. God Bless and keep up the great work!

December 7, 2010 at 4:49 PM  
Blogger {darlene} said...

Yes Ma'am. I will do it!!!!

thanks for reminding me...

December 7, 2010 at 5:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Courtney,
Congratulations! You are the winner of the BBB giveaway on Dining With Debbie. Please email me your mailing address; I will get that off to you as soon as I hear from you and can get it into the mail. Thanks so much for participating. Debbie

December 7, 2010 at 7:48 PM  
Blogger Kaye said...

This is a fantastic post! I am going to include it in my weekly round up post on Saturday so I can refer my readers over!

Thanks!

December 8, 2010 at 12:02 PM  
Anonymous Becky said...

This was a delightful exercise! Thanks for the fabulous ideas and the reminders to slow down during this busy holiday season.

December 9, 2010 at 7:12 PM  
Anonymous Lisa notes... said...

I love this challenge.

"It is in our slow moments that we can see clearly."
That is definitely true for me. Thanks for the prompt.

December 15, 2010 at 11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home