This Page

has been moved to new address

Give Your Children a Happy Childhood Filled With Tender Moments

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Women Living Well Blog: Give Your Children a Happy Childhood Filled With Tender Moments

Women Living Well Blog

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Give Your Children a Happy Childhood Filled With Tender Moments

J.R. Miller says "The richest heritage that parents can give is a happy childhood, with tender memories of father and mother. This will brighten the coming days when the children have gone out from the sheltering home, and will be a safeguard in times of temptation and a conscious help amid the stern realities of life."
This picture of our family pillow fight may not appear tender - but in our house this is great fun! It's a chance to be silly, laugh, run, and play.


This week's Challenge is:
Keep your candle going, the music playing, and add some tender moments with your family. Have a pillow party in the family room and get out every blanket and pillow in the house and be cozy with the kids or your hubby! Even if you live alone you can do this. Enjoy a cozy evening of hot cider and caramel corn. Give a 5 minute back rub to every single person in your house...and for a double challenge- try to give one every day to each family member! During your tender moment with the family, ask them how they feel about this challenge. Are they enjoying it? Is it helpful? Is there anything they would change. Give your family listening ears.
A wise mother knows how to have fun and how to be tender. She knows the healing touch of her hands. Jesus used his hands to touch and heal many. There is power in the gentle expressions of love through warm embraces, cuddles and back rubs. God made backs with nerve endings that simply enjoy a rub! And you have it in your power to delight your husband and children by simply rubbing their back!


So take the challenge and be intentional about physically reaching out and touching your family this week. No matter how old your children are, they are craving tender affection. Take the time to slow down and fulfill this need.


Mark 10:16 says "And (Jesus) took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them."


Bless your family by learning to live together in peace and tender love.


If you are participating in this challenge leave a comment below with how it's going - if you are a blogger copy this button into your blog post, write about how it's going and link up below!


I have enjoyed reading so many of your stories! I so appreciate you joining me on this journey!!! Persevere!



Walk with the King!

I am linking up here :


Labels:

21 Comments:

Blogger Gwen T said...

I linked up but am having a hard time reading your post, Courtney! Am I the only that has the blog background covering the text?

October 24, 2010 at 8:32 PM  
Blogger Courtney (Women Living Well) said...

Gwen - I reworked the post and hope it fixed it! Sorry about that!!!

Courtney

October 24, 2010 at 9:20 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Oddly enough, this week I have just committed to learning infant massage to help our baby with his health challenges! A perfect article to encourage us, thank you!

October 24, 2010 at 9:35 PM  
Blogger Gwen T said...

Thanks for fixing it! :) Yes, I love the word "intentional" -- we must be intentional and purposeful if we are going to reach our goals.

I read on a Cheerios box once "Give your child a hug today!" -- how sad, I thought, that for some families one hug a day is a big deal and they need to be reminded from the cereal company....

My children (and hubby!) just light up with a hug, a pat or a kiss - such precious things to treasure.

October 24, 2010 at 10:18 PM  
Blogger Janene said...

The back rub part will be harder than the pillows, blanket, and popcorn. I make an effort on Fridays to do some version of that--I LOVE receiving a back rub, but giving them? I will be intentional and do so this week.

October 24, 2010 at 10:48 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

I love this step of the challenge... because it is a challenge for me. I have always lit candles and played soft music and tried to provide a peaceful environment. So opposite of my life growing up. BUT... physical touch is not really my love language and as my children have gotten older I find myself doing it less and less. I do not like this and I really need to focus on doing it more!!!! Thank you for this post! Please pray for me as this WILL be a challenge for me!!

October 25, 2010 at 8:13 AM  
Blogger Toni said...

This is fitting, given the topic I posted on today. Our children definitely need us to provide moments of tenderness in the home. I'm up for this challenge. Btw, I washed out my first Yankee candle jar last night, lol. It appears I've kept the "oil burning". :D
Blessings,
Toni

October 25, 2010 at 8:42 AM  
Anonymous Mama said...

This is an awesome post. I will commit to doing this & know that even though I just yelled I can start over from this point. Oy.

October 25, 2010 at 10:04 AM  
Blogger {darlene} said...

the candle is lit!
we have been snuggling more today!
and...
YOU ARE NOW GOING TO BE A DAILY READ!!!
{and not JUST because I loved meeting you and I think you are precious}. I LOVE your blog.
In fact, I know that God is going to use your encouragement to keep the inspiration of Relevant's main message going...

off to tickle my children!
and the pillow fight is now in my daily time budget :)

love,
Darlene

October 25, 2010 at 10:56 AM  
Blogger momstheword said...

How fun, kids love things like that!!! When ours were little we used to have a dinner picnic in the living room, or we'd make a tent in the house, etc.

One time we put string all over the place downstairs and surprised them with a big webby maze.

You are right, touch is important and even teens need and want to be hugged!

Thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday.

October 25, 2010 at 11:42 AM  
Blogger Jody said...

I am loving these "making your home a haven" challenges! I am all about having candles going in the fall (my favorite season), but now they have new meaning. Every time I stop to admire the flicker or simply smell the sweet aroma I thank God for the peace He brings to my home, and ask Him for even more. The same goes with the soothing music. As a borderline OCD, Type A personality wife and mom, these reminders to slow down and make my home into the haven God would have it be have already blessed me immensely. I can't wait to implement this week's challenge! Thank you!

October 25, 2010 at 1:15 PM  
Blogger The Mom said...

We used to roll up pairs of socks and throw socks at Daddy when he came home from work. My husband would get into it, too. He would yell, "hey" and promptly pick up a roll of socks and throw them back. My girls loved this. It was fun for us all.

October 25, 2010 at 1:46 PM  
Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

Love the pillow party. My kids get so excited when pillows and blankets are involved. LOL!

We had such a great weekend. And skating with the kids was a highlight. I love having them young.

October 25, 2010 at 2:05 PM  
Blogger {darlene} said...

we had that pillow fight.
and giggled our little hearts out.

I think I am gonna like having you around, sweet friend!!

October 25, 2010 at 10:51 PM  
Blogger homeschool101 said...

Well unfortunately, I have missed the last two hops. :( a lot of caos on my end. But tonight I just made my post and I will definately be doing this challenge in to this week.

Thanks so much for the inspiring words and doing this challenge. You have no idea how this makes me feel come the end of the day. THat first week was truly peaceful and wonderful week.

God bless you and may you have a wonderful week as well.

October 25, 2010 at 11:25 PM  
Blogger Mindy said...

When my kids were younger, it was very easy to always be touching, hugging and kissing. Now that I have adult children, I find I have to purpose to touch them each day, with a quick hug before they run off to school, or a warm greeting when they come home. We established a good-night routine of kissing all the kids goodnight when they were younger. When they got older and put themselves to bed, they started coming to us to kiss us goodnight. Thanks for the reminder to be a tender mom!

October 26, 2010 at 12:17 AM  
Anonymous viviene said...

that's so nice =) i like it when you said "be intentional"

my husband and i enjoy pillow fighting too, and wrestling haha. it sounds so physical but it's pure fun.

October 26, 2010 at 12:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Courtney,

I wanted to let you know how much I appreciate these challenges. I have been participating since the challenges began but this is my first link up (because I just started blogging).

Thanks again!

October 26, 2010 at 1:11 AM  
Anonymous Theresa @ Everday Sacred said...

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog this morning Courtney. I am enjoying reading all the blog entries from the Relevant conference. Christin, from Joyful Mothering is an online friend of mine. We met 8 years ago at an MSN group called CSAHM's (Christian Stay At Home Mom's). We've never met IRL yet but I hope to someday.

October 26, 2010 at 10:54 AM  
Blogger . said...

I'm glad I discovered your blog today and I look forward to reading and getting to know you better.

Wonderful ideas:)

http://www.juliehjabbers.blogspot.com

October 26, 2010 at 1:29 PM  
Anonymous Heather (Creative Family Moments) said...

I like that you pointed out that Jesus used his hands to heal. I read that a child needs 8 hugs to survive 12 to thrive. It's a good reminder.

October 26, 2010 at 7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home