This Page

has been moved to new address

Daily Devotions for Little Ones

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Women Living Well Blog: Daily Devotions for Little Ones

Women Living Well Blog

Monday, January 4, 2010

Daily Devotions for Little Ones

Book Review: Title: The One Year Devotions for Preschoolers 2
by Carla Barnhill; illustrated by Elena Kucharik


Recently, Alexis and I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this One Year Devotional together! Each day includes a Bible verse, an adorable illustration, a heart warming thought on how to apply the verse of the day and a 2 sentence poem.



This is not a book of "Bible stories". You won't hear the story of Noah's ark or baby Moses but rather it takes the abstract concepts of God's everlasting love, power, and listening ear and makes it simple so it can be understood by a preschooler.


Do you need help establishing a daily devotional time with your little ones? Let's make 2010 the year that our children learn to walk with their King also!


Step #1 - Make a Plan: I want to encourage you to start the new year with a plan for developing a time of daily reading the Bible with your children. There are many tools out there for preschoolers, tweens, teens and even for us mommies! The best resource is the Bible itself - do not underestimate the power of reading the written word even to the little ones!


But there are many tools to help us mommies. I use a plethora of Bible story books and daily devotionals like this one, to keep it fresh and interesting to the children. So the first step is to make a plan. Be creative and explore the children's books that are out there - this one is a great place to start.



Step #2 - Pick a Time and Place: After you have chosen your plan then you need to pick a time and place. I try to read the Bible with my children at the breakfast table daily. I find breakfast to be an easy place to "squeeze" it in. If it doesn't happen at breakfast then it usually happens at bedtime.


It's really as simple as steps 1 and 2! Add a little discipline to the mix and your child will be walking with the King in no time!



Do you have a favorite time, place and plan that you use with your children? Please share it in the comments section!


Walk with the King!

*Thank you Tyndale Publishing for providing this complimentary book for me to review!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger NJohnson said...

My husband and I try to read with our boys at night time. He started working night shift recently and it has become a little bit hard. I read with them at night still but it's something we like to do as a family. We are trying to start doing it in the morning as well. It's different for us but worth it! Thank you again for your encouraging words.

January 4, 2010 at 7:51 AM  
Blogger Melinda said...

I love those little devotional books. My kids are now 13 and 9, but I still regularly buy them devotional books and it sets such a good habit as they grow. I started early and it's become just part of what they do. My teen is not as diligent in reading as she used to be, but the seeds have been planted. I am confident she will go back to it with more fervor as she gets older.

Thanks for your comment on my blog, Courtney. Your web page looks so awesome. I registered with your message board and left a message. God is clearly and powerfully using you via this website/blog!!

January 4, 2010 at 9:56 AM  
Anonymous Becky said...

Hi. I was wondering if you can tell me what version of the Bible is used in the book you recommended?? I looked on Tyndale's website, but they don't mention it. Thanks!

January 4, 2010 at 10:22 AM  
Blogger Courtney (Women Living Well) said...

Becky - they use many different versions...NIV, NASB, KJV, NKJV, TLB, etc.

I think they try to choose the version that puts the verse in words that a preschooler can understand. So they do not use one version consistently through out. Hope that helps.

Courtney

January 4, 2010 at 10:38 AM  
Anonymous Becky said...

thanks for the reply Courtney and thanks for your blog! I try to stick to the KJV, but I'm not an idiot! Kids need more than Bible verses right? They need a consistent Christian example...they can spot a hypocrite right away and that's why we are losing our children..because we are different on Monday than we were on Sunday. Okay, sorry for the sermon! :-)

January 4, 2010 at 11:43 AM  
Blogger Christy said...

I just found your blog and it's wonderful! I did not realize there was a #2 book out. We have the first one and my four year old loves it and 2 year old sits through it, so who knows how much he takes in. THis is great!

January 4, 2010 at 7:10 PM  
Anonymous Julie@comehaveapeace said...

Time over the word with our children is always time I'm glad we've spent. And it's so excellent to begin laying the foundation early.

I know you must be getting ready in your heart and mind for your message on Sunday. Praying it will be a sweet time for you and will bear much fruit, friend!

January 4, 2010 at 9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home