This Page

has been moved to new address

Menu Planning Day

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Women Living Well Blog: Menu Planning Day

Women Living Well Blog

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Menu Planning Day

On Monday I shared my weekly schedule, on Tuesday my daily schedule and today I will share how I meal plan. I must admit that all this transparency - out on the web - is a little unsettling. I've shared these things with friends before but never with the "world".


My way works for me and my family but I want you to pray about what is best for your family and your needs and then do whatever it is that God lays on your heart. Way back in the beginning of our marriage, I was quite immature with my homemaking skills. One day Keith gave me a pep talk. He said - "Courtney, you are the queen bee - this is your home to manage. I don't want you to be perfect but I want you to "own" it. Be the best you can be at it. Learn more, try harder and be organized." While this was a blow to my ego - because I wanted to be a perfect homemaker and my husband was saying I needed to work on my skills, I appreciated the kick in the pants. At that point, I put down some of my theology books and began to pick up homemaking books. And the joy of managing my home began for me.


If you struggle in this area and want to learn more - head to your local library - the shelves are full with motivational homemaking books. If your husband is like mine - he will be happy to see you trying! I remember a friend telling me that her husband could care less how she keeps the home therefore she felt no ambition to try. She only felt the need to be a better homemaker because other women made her feel like she wasn't "good enough" at it.


My thought is this - we women are not in competition with each other. This is not a game to see who can keep their home the best. I first want to please God with my homemaking diligence but then secondly, I want to please my husband. In Proverbs 31 it says "Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: Many women do noble things but you surpass them all." This is the praise I want - praise from my husband and children - not others.


So find out what it is that your husband thinks is a priority for you in the home and do it. If he could care less what time dinner is but really values a bed that is made - be sure that is your priority. If he is very particular and wants dinner at a certain time - schedule your day so that is possible. Your priorities and schedule should look different than mine because you have a different husband. Do not try to "copy" anyone else - but rather mold yourself around your husband's desires and you will have a happy home and one day he will rise and praise you as the Proverbs 31 lady was!

Okay - here's my meal plan. I have an excel spread sheet that I just literally plug in the meals and voila - it's quick and easy! Often times I leave the breakfast, lunch, snacks and desserts the same and just change the dinners. I hang this chart on the fridge and I find that it resolves all meal time dilemmas. And I must admit "candy" eating is not on the chart - but we do eat it. The chart is too big to plug into this blog so click on this link to see an example of my "Meal Plan".


Walk With the King,

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this, Courtney. I love it because it's simple and do-able. I plan our dinners but rarely breakfasts, snacks and lunches. However-what a great idea! I might start doing that now! Thanks :)

March 4, 2009 at 8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh boy reading that makes me hungry!lol Seriously here is my question or 2! How far in advance do you plan your meals and how often do you try a new dish? DO you generally rotate the same dinners throughout the month?Thanks for sharing your meal plan with us!It does help! Now I just gotta figure out how to use Excel!

March 4, 2009 at 1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for stopping by. It was great to hear from you. I have never tried the breakfast casserole with bacon. Great idea. Blessings.

March 4, 2009 at 9:11 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

Courtney thank you for sharing your recipes and your kind spirit. I truly enjoy reading your blog each day.

March 5, 2009 at 1:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home