This Page

has been moved to new address

Christmas Pride

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Women Living Well Blog: Christmas Pride

Women Living Well Blog

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmas Pride

This morning I am preparing for a devotional that I will be giving at a local Christian School's staff meeting. I'm a little nervous. I remember many moons ago when I sat down to lead a Bible study filled with over 30 women older than myself. Before I began my lesson I said out loud -"I'm so nervous." I'll never forget what one lady did. She pointed her finger right at me and said "That's Pride!"

I was shocked in the moment as the woman so quickly judged me for what I felt was a natural human response to a situation that was a little nerve wracking. I laughed and ignored her but later those words played over and over in my head. They struck me so hard that the words are still playing in my head even though it was nearly 7 years ago!

Pride. Pride is a high opinion of one's own self. I think naturally we think highly of our own views or our own ways to do things. Pride was the downfall of Satan - Ezekiel 28:17 says of Satan "Your heart became proud on account of your beauty, and you corrupted your wisdom because or your splendor. So I threw you to the earth."

Now how do pride and Christmas relate. We as women have mounds of work to do - but you can tell who is the most organized simply by who is done with their "stuff". Some women are done Christmas shopping, decorating, baking and mailing out their cards. And one woman I talked to recently was bragging that all her presents were wrapped under the tree! Ugh! It made me feel so awful.

Pride is revealed in many ways - for me it's revealed this morning as I think about speaking at this school staff meeting. I naturally want them to think well of me - that's pride! As we prepare for Christmas remember this is not a competition where we have to out do each other. We each shine in our different elements - some of us are excellent at finding bargain basement prices, others are great at home making their gifts and cards, while others will be excellent at cookie baking or decorating their house. Do not think that you have to be great at everything or do it all. That is how you will ruin Christmas for yourself and your family - you will be stressed out and your pride will ruin you. Proverbs 16:18 "Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall."

Remember today our humble Savior born in a stable. All he wants for Christmas is for you to humbly seek him first.

Walk with the King!
Courtney
http://www.womenlivingwell.org/

2 Comments:

Blogger carol said...

Hi, Courtney! I worked at a Christian school until this year and we rotated doing the devotions for our group. Occasionally, we would have a guest speaker. As you prepare, please remember that these people are in the midst of working with children at Christmas-time. They are tired. They have to-do lists a mile long and no time to complete them until school is out for Christmas break. They will LOVE God's refreshing words and your beautiful smile! Shine for Jesus and you will be giving them a wonderful Christmas gift! God Bless you as you minister!

December 11, 2010 at 11:39 AM  
Blogger cindy said...

Loved this post Courtney we really do need to keep Pride in check I think we as women try to out do each other in EVERYTHING NOT just CHRISTmas stuff and I love what you said that we all have different areas to shine in LOVE IT.....God Bless sis,

Serving The King,
Cindy

December 11, 2010 at 12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home