This Page

has been moved to new address

Joy - Part 2

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Women Living Well Blog: Joy - Part 2

Women Living Well Blog

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Joy - Part 2

Okay - yesterday I started out my day focusing on Matthew 10:20 which says - our "names are written in heaven" (see yesterdays blog). This reminder gave me joy. Then I turned on the radio in my car - and as I listened to the news sadness flooded my heart. I took my mind off of Christ and immediately all the joy had left my soul!

So I thought I need to re-address this issue for my own hearts sake. Isn't life sometimes a battle for joy! The reality is life can be hard - and joy is not our natural reaction to disappointments.

John Piper says "By nature we get more pleasure from God's gifts than from himself." This is truth. But when we suffer a loss I think we realize that God is still there and he is enough.

I was reading in Acts 16 during my quiet time. It's a familiar story - do you remember the story of Paul and Silas when they had cast a demon out of a servant girl and the master was very angry? He had Paul and Silas beaten and flogged and then thrown into jail. How did Paul and Silas respond to their jail time? Acts 16:25 says "About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God."

Awesome! They were praying and not just praying but singing! Paul and Silas walked so closely with God that in the midst of literal torment (they were not just in jail but in chains) they were able to sing praises to God.

Well, I was not beaten or flogged this morning - so my day is going better than Paul and Silas's yet I cannot on my own conjure up joyful emotions. Paul and Silas so loved God that it was the overflow of their heart to rejoice. Galatians 5:22,23 says "The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control."

So the challenge is to not be led by our emotions but to walk in the Spirit and yield to him today. Crank up your worship CD's girls!
Walk with the King!
Courtney

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home