This Page

has been moved to new address

Book Review: The Daniel Fast by Susan Gregory

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Women Living Well Blog: Book Review: The Daniel Fast by Susan Gregory

Women Living Well Blog

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Book Review: The Daniel Fast by Susan Gregory

Fasting is a Christian discipline that is rarely talked about in the Christian church, so I found the book, The Daniel Fast by Susan Gregory, to be refreshing and enlightening. America has been plagued by an epidemic of obesity - we love our food -and for some they love their food more than they love their God! Fasting was a part of the Jewish culture and great men and women of God through out the Bible, participated in fasting and prayer. Our ultimate example is Jesus our Savior, who went into the wilderness for 40 days to fast and pray.


Have you ever gone on a fast? In the last few years I have begun to practice this spiritual discipline. Sometimes it's been with my Good Morning Girls group, often it's with my husband and once with an old friend from high school who now lives in Texas! The support through out the day of emails, texts and prayers has gotten me through some rough days of fasting - (I do love my Diet Coke! I know for others giving up coffee is a struggle!)

What is so great about this book is it provides a step by step plan - including how to prepare, some recipes that follow the restrictions and daily devotions for doing a 21 day Daniel Fast. I have not done a fast that included food so this sparked my interest - maybe I can do this!

Susan Gregory says in The Daniel Fast, "The definition of a biblical fast is to restrict food for a spiritual purpose." Susan explains there are three types of fasts - an absolute fast, a normal fast, and a partial fast. The Daniel Fast is a partial fast - abstaining from some foods but not all. Daniel abstained from all foods except foods from the seed and water. So this book explains how to follow his example.

Do you wish you had the deep faith of Daniel? One that could lock the jaws of lions in a den? I think we all wish we could have that type of walk with God and yet are we willing to do what Daniel did in order to have what Daniel had? Fasting is not so you can impress God with your "super" Christian ways - but it is for you. It is done to draw us nearer to God and without the aspect of extra prayer and time in the word - it is just a diet.


Fasting was created by God as a tool to bring us into closer relationship with Him. If you are interested in doing a 1 day, 3 day, 7 day, 10 day or 21 day fast - go to Susan Gregory's website to learn more about the Daniel Fast here. You can also read a past post I wrote on fasting here.



"Sometimes you are so hungry, the only way to be fed is to fast."Susan Gregory

Walk with the King!


Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Ingrid said...

I will have to look at that book. I have been thinking about fasting lately. The problem is finding the time to be alone to really hear from God and spend time with him.

March 25, 2010 at 10:39 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

That book sounds very good, will look for it next time I am in town, maybe you would like to stop by my blog and comment on our Thankful Thursday.
Hugs and Prayers, Barbara ♥
http://bakinnbitsbarbara.blogspot.com/

March 25, 2010 at 11:30 AM  
Blogger Courtney (Women Living Well) said...

Ingrid (Daningo),

I can rarely fast and find "solid" time alone. So the kids join me on my knees through out the day. Also, everytime I feel that cringe in my stomach for food it's my reminder to pray - it seems to happen at least every thirty minutes - so I end up praying without ceasing all day long - even as I'm going about my tasks.

So rather than waiting to find the time - pick a day and go for it! When I fast I also fast from television and web browsing to keep me focused - and that seems to open up a little extra time too :-)

Hope that helps!
Courtney

March 25, 2010 at 4:25 PM  
Blogger Heather Palacios said...

Found ur blog on the mommy-blogger thingy. Tried to see what church you guys r plugged in to in Ohio. I grew up there, know of several. Cool blog, cool post. I'll be back!

March 25, 2010 at 8:39 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

This is very interesting.
I first heard about the Daniel fast a couple months ago.
This is something I definitely want to read more about.
By the way, I'm a fairly new follower. :)

March 25, 2010 at 10:40 PM  
Blogger NJohnson said...

HI! I belong to a wonderful church that fasts monthly. It is a great way to focus unselfishly on a spiritual topic and enforce it in my life!

April 8, 2010 at 9:45 PM  
Blogger Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

This is a book I really want to read....A sleepless night so doing a little blog hopping....

I have a Disney Giveaway on my main blog...Hope you will stop by.

http://teresa-grammygirlfriend.blogspot.com/

May 16, 2010 at 3:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home